Monday, June 7, 2010

Pneumonic...but still reading

Sorry to be MIA again. This cold/flu extravaganza that Dukie and I have been going through is now on its third week and now...Duke has pneumonia (again). It is just so awful to see little kids sick. *sigh* Plus, doc says I need to get my lungs xray'd too now so here's to hoping I don't have pneumonia also. I will be back blogging again soon when Duke and I are better. And to my kids who are all so hungry for my adolescent lit titles this summer, I suggest you check out the amazing Suzie Townsend's blog (on the left below). She's a lit agent who has amazing taste in YA books. I've loved all her recommendations. Other agents who went to BEA this year also blogged about exciting new releases (i.e. Duff by Kody Keplinger...I'll be first in line for that one because all the agents are in a tizzy about it). So, until I put together my reading list and supp list that y'all seem to be so interested in, go check out those blogs. They haven't steered me wrong yet. (;

I know at least two students-o-mine who wanted (read: demanded) a middle grade book recommendation, like, now...so, I second Ms. Townsend's recommendation:
==When you Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Plus, here are others:
==Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce
==Countdown by Deborah Wiles (rarely do I do this but MAX...this one is for you!)
==Crunch by Leslie Connor
==How I, Nicky Flynn, Finally Get a Life by Art Corriveau
==Middleworld by J&P Voelkel

I know my non-middle graders are going to complain so I have new titles for you too. But, to save blog space, just go here (oh don't whine...y'all get the majority of my focus in EDCS 432 and in ITE 404):
http://www.teenreads.com/features/cool-new-books.asp

An update:
I have decided! Novelized YA stories spinning off from Shakespeare will be my newest "unit" in my YA lit course this year. This is a growing area of YA lit and one that I know my former students are liking to see in their students' hands. So, to throw out some titles to my lovely former students whom I know are all working so hard on their curricula this summer (like all the rockstar teachers who I am fortunate to be in the good company with always), here are a few:
==Juliet--Anne Fortier (NEW!)
==Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata--Lis Mantchev (this is a series)
==Enter Three Witches--Caroline Cooney (for the Cooney fans in your classes)
==Ophelia--Lisa Klein (Lady Macbeth's Daughter is also good)

Yes, you read right:
Post-apocalyptic and steam punk books are going to have its own section in my course this semester. Here's some summer reads for you to check out:
==The Forest of Hands and Teeth...gorgeous writing
==Leviathan or Shift or Epitah Road or Incarceron...don't ask me to rate these in order...
==For a pretty good anthology, check out Ann Vandermeer's Steampunk

That's it for now. Going back to bed.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer!

4 comments:

  1. My nieces loved the Forest of Hands and Teeth book. Since this is a double stamp of approval, I'm going out to get it. Thanks!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Crystal~
    I have one that I just read. If you are teaching students "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde", a good YA to have your students read following that reading (or in Lit groups with a 50/50 split between the books) is "Jekyll Loves Hyde" by Beth Fantaskey. It's a love story with a Dr. J Mr. H twist.
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added the Deborah Wiles to my Amazon cart... thanks for the reco!! The 7-inch single on the cover was enough to make me add it but the synopsis sounds great as well... thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No prob, Max. I know how you "blame" me for some of the good books you fanatically want to add to your students' reading list. I aim to enable... (= Hope you're having a blast on your trip!

    ReplyDelete